Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 in Review


2008 is behind us now.

I started 2008 at FOB Rustamiyah, and if memory serves me well shortly after midnight there Garrison burst through my door in a thong that said "I love my Soldier" and jumped into my bed. The rest of the men were gathered outside snapping pictures. I don't know where those pictures went but they will probably resurface if any of those guys read this post. I was there for the first snow fall in Baghdad in roughly over 60 years. That was the same day we escorted a bunch of nuclear waste, that was a fun day let me tell you.


A good man's body succumbed to injuries he had sustained 4 months earlier the day before his 20th birthday. Duncan Crookston the resident Charlie Company Genius will never be forgotten.
Things were relatively quite in our sector and we were doing barrier missions and setting up check points on one of the worst routes in Iraq at the time. We were trying to get that stretch of highway in our area safe for all those that passed through it. Many a night we were out there laying down jersey barriers and building checkpoints that the Iraqi's and us could use to set up traffic control points. There was still the ongoing mission of grabbing high value targets in which we favored over the barriers. We reoccupied the COP and felt safer out there than we did at the FOB since the rocket and mortar attacks had increased.
Then only days before handing over our sector to the 4thID we rolled out into the streets in mid day to find all the check points abandoned and nobody on the roads. We hit a mosque and found loads of weapons and IED and EFP making materials. We stirred a hornets nest and on the drive back to drop the cache off the Rocket Magnet (Simmons) lead vehicle was hit with an EFP and RPG. Rendering the vehicle useless so that we had to get out and hook it up to tow. Once that crew dismounted the small arms fire picked up and we started to fire back at suspected enemy locations to din the fire long enough to get the truck hooked up.
During this uprising two more Task Force Ranger soldier's were killed and others severely wounded. Sadr's uprising and ending of the cease fire were in full effect and everybody came out to fight. The day after the Mosque raid and ambush we headed back into sector and got into a short skirmish just minutes away from our COP which ended after our 1st Platoon opened up on a wahabi that had just fired an RPG at them with a .50cal. Later that night my Platoon raided the Mosque down the street from us that we had been waiting to hit forever and a day. It was a dry hole and then later we were summoned to help out our sister company, and also relieve some National Police that were holed up at their compound. D co lead the way and it almost seem like every 5min you heard an IED blow up. No casualties as we monitored their net and sped to link up with them seeing all the destruction that nearly missed them in their wake. They began shooting anything suspicious which paid off after several more explosions. Only days before we were supposed to be relieved we were caught up in a huge fire fight. As dawn broke RPG wielding terrorists braved the roof tops to fire down on our Dco sent into get a platoon from one of our sister companies. Hannibal let fury ring from his 24o and mowed them down. We were sent down to pull security on the exfil route and it seemed as if everyone with a weapon wanted to come out and play, we continued movement once the rest of the convoy was ready to go and steady shot our way off of a 2mi stretch of road. Some of the terrorists Hannibal would shoot would be dragged away from their machine gun at the end of the road and another would jump behind it.
2nd Platoons last days in sector would be spent on COP security and the other platoons going out into Indian Country. A couple of weeks later we were on birds headed for home and reunited with our families. Its hard to believe that just last March we were in a pitched battle only days before heading for home.


Reunited with our families most of us took block leave to get reacquainted. Some of missed the camaraderie of the people we had just spent 15 months with. As is true in the Army, they built a great family and then separated them. Some getting out just last month and others getting out this month and in the next couple of months. Some stayed on for another tour, and some are actually already back in Iraq.
I bid farewell to Kansas which in hindsight was stupid because Fort Jackson flat out sucks, and now I realize that my place is on the line getting Soldier's ready to go to war. It wouldn't be so bad if I actually had more time to spend with the family but right now the job that I'm in doesn't offer it. Quite frankly none of them are to excited to be here. I asked for it and I got it, well doom on me.
I have had the opportunity to open some more doors though and we will see which ones I can actually get through. I've gotten to spend a little quality time with the family which I'm thankful for. I miss the old friends from Riley, and I wish I still had the opportunity to lead those that stayed on back there.
The world is a pretty unstable place leading into 2009, we have a new president that has promised us change, we will see what happens. We could certainly use some change.
To everyone I wish a happy New Year and hopefully this one is better than the last. To all my friends and brothers in harms way stay safe.
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!!!!

Reunited with SGT Joel L. Murray on his birthday shortly after arriving home. He was laid to rest in Fort Riley Kansas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, very touching picture of you guys at Joel's resting place. I'm sure he felt the presence of his brothers to his left and to his right.