Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Christmas Wish

My wife found this video on YOU TUBE. She posted it on her MySpace, and she wrote that this is how her and the kids feel. I do always try to take in to consideration, the things going on back at home. Then when I stop and I think I do realize how much I have actually missed out in the last 3 years. How much sacrificing they have to do back home. My wife took my girls to a dance competition in Pennsylvania, the other dance moms were civilian moms. They all got a room togther and in the morning were at odds as to why my wife and my 2 girls weren't ready to go. My wife does everything by herself she has no help. She essentially leads the life of a single mother, the one added stress to that is hoping that uniformed men don't show up to her home to deliver a message that would shatter the family.
My daughter broke her arm earlier in the year and I spoke to her about it, and she brought up the fact that everytime she gets hurt real bad that I'm never there. My son is three years old now and I've only been to one of his birthday parties, my daughters have gone to Regional Dance Finals competitions, and I've not been able to see them perform. Everytime I call home my son's vocabulary has jumped leaps and bounds.
My wife makes, the cupcakes, plans the parties, builds the school projects, cooks the meals, goes to to Dance, she does everything by herself, and she has a husband. I'm not complaining this is the life we chose.
As it gets closer to the end of the deployment I don't see really anything different from when we started. I felt that way the last time we were here, nothing changed. Then a new unit gets here and does the same thing, at the end tries to sum up all of its accomplishments into one big adda boy, but the fact remains it's the same as it was when you got here, and the unit before you did the same things we did, and the unit before them and so on and so forth. We should feel as though we captalize off of the success of the unit before us, but we don't, we make small accomplishments and call them our own.
I definitely don't have the answers, and I don't know what they are. I'm neither politician or a college educated commander. I'm just a high school educated Infantry Squad leader boots on the ground, trying my best to keep those around me alive. We are a tool of policy and democracy. I'm a father to 3 children and a husband to a busy wife. We are a career military family. I watch my kids grow up through slide shows on MySpace. My kids score winning goals at the Soccer game to look back and see their mother cheering for them. They perform their hearts out on stage and look out into the ground to see their mother cheering for them. My sons concept of a father is that he is always 'at work'. My wife will hang stockings and put up the Christmas tree, and on Christmas eve go to bed alone, and be woken up at the crack of dawn to eager children trying to get down stairs and see what Santa brought them, and they will wait for me to call so that they can tell me what they got for Christmas. I will wait in a long line behind other dads, and moms eager to hear what Santa left for their children. Afterwards, we will probably go to chow then go back to our rooms and await the next mission in an effort to "Get violence down to a maintable level for Iraqi Security Forces."
At this point I'll end my sesnseless rambling and leave you as confused as I am.
I hope that all of you have happy holidays. Maybe Santa will drop by and pick me up.......


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you posting again.
You've been missed.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back!!! ; ) We LOVE reading your blog!!! Merry Christmas to you and your fellow troops!!! God bless you and stay safe.

Sharon said...

Dear Sgt. Gruntshit :),

A Merry Christmas to you and your platoon. Let's hope that 2008 brings peace and a better working locale for you and your guys.

Know that I'm keeping all of you, Crookston, and Mixson in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon - An American Soldier's Mom