Duncan was laid to rest on Febuary 2nd in Denver. The Denver Post covered the service. The Patriot Guard was out in full effect. I have never been to a service in the states, my wife has gone and she said that the support from the Patriot Guard is amazing. These Patriots provide escorts for Soldiers, and Marines coming home to be laid to rest and there show of force from what I understand is awe inspiring. I received a comment in Rest In Peace Crookston from Nightsapper and he said-
"Snowed 2 inches overnight - fresh white blanket on the ground. Cleared off for sunny blue sky for the funeral and cemetary. Clouded up afterwards. Just shows that God looks after His own.Patriot Guard Riders, VFW and Legion all there. No protesters.Your bro and his family & friends were well looked after by us Veterans there and along the way. We got your back, here in Colorado.CTM and get home safe as you can.Hooah"
I have read about the vast amount of supporters that came out to show their respect for fallen hero's such as Murray, Lane and Shelton. Theresa who is a friend of Duncan's aunt posted a comment and it painted a picture for me of the many people who came out to show respect and support for the fallen hero, forever 19 of Denver Colorado.
I attended Duncan's funeral today in Denver. I did not know Duncan but his aunt is a dear friend of mine and we are members of the same church. I thought you might want to know about the funeral.You could tell it was a military funeral from a block away. An honor guard of grizzled Vietnam-era veterans lined the walks leading into the main entrance, standing at attention and holding large American flags. They wore biker outfits and jackets or vests with their military patches on them. These war-torn soldiers had come to honor one of their fallen sons. I had to stand at the edge of the walkway for a few minutes to collect myself, it was so moving.As I entered the foyer, there was another honor guard of young soldiers standing in a line in the hallway. They were there to escort the casket into the chapel.The chapel was at capacity so the overflow area into the gymnasium was opened up. They clearly did not expect so many to attend because 15 minutes before the funeral was to begin, men were unfolding extra chairs. Ultimately, they filled even the stage at the back of the room and guests were standing in the halls and at the edges of the room. I would guess there were more than 800 people in attendance.Duncan's mother is an animal control officer for the city of Lakewood. Scattered throughout the audience were not only her fellow uniformed animal control officers, but Lakewood police and fire department officers. There were also officers from Denver and from the Sheriff's department, and many, many military personnel.Most of the speakers at the service were fellow church members who knew Duncan. In fact, I sat next to someone from my own ward who had been Duncan's Young Men's advisor a few years ago. I was touched that each of the special speakers was, himself, a former soldier who had seen combat. One had even been injured in Iraq within the last three years.They read the letters that you have posted on this blog, from you, his Staff Sergeant, and from his mother. They also read a letter from the Chaplain at the hospital in Fort Sam Houston and from Duncan, himself, written to his wife two days before he was injured.His wife spoke. As I listened to her, I was struck by how she was just an ordinary person who, in the last five months, blossomed into an extraordinary young woman. Her husband was so horrifically injured that the nurses had to warn each of his visitors, and even battle-worn visitors were shocked at his condition. And yet Meaghan stayed by his side every day for five months and spoke of how she fell in love with him all over again every time she walked into the room.Her cousin spoke briefly, telling about how they used to set up a baby monitor to listen to Meaghan talk to Duncan on the phone, and how they lost track of how many times she said, "Babe, I love you".I was touched by the constant evidence of Duncan's courage. Clearly, through the trials of the last five months, when his fight for life left his body shaking as he struggled for each breath, even when he was asleep, this young man grew into someone not just heroic but divine. His aunt told me, privately, that his family felt like he had promised to come home to his wife, and he did. They knew that his chances were very slim and felt like the last five months were given to them to embrace one another and to say goodbye.Duncan's influence will be felt throughout this generation. I am only one of many who is a better person for having prayed for him and shared, however distantly, in his passing.Bless you,Teresa in Colorado
Deuce Deuce OUT!!
Memorial Guest Books to pay your Respects to Duncan
Denver Post
Legacy
4 comments:
Thanks, again, Tristan, for letting us all be a part of honoring PFC Crookston. Wish we could have been there in person for his services. Yes, the Patriot Guard is quite a group. Very comforting to know they are always there for our fallen and their families. And, thank you to Teresa for providing details of PFC Crookston's service...very powerful, very touching, made me feel as though I was there honoring him in person. Thank you.
My name is Jason, and I am in the Patriot Guard here in Denver. I am an amateur photographer, and have made it my personal goal to document what the Patriot Guard does. I have taken pictures at 50+ missions, and post them on Flickr.
I found your blog when I was posting this weekend's set from Pfc. Duncan Crookston's service and interment, and want you to be able to view them, as well. Feel free to pass this link around as you see fit, and to contact me with any questions or comments. I wish you and those close to you all the best, and look forward to having a Welcome Home mission for each of you.
Jason
jasonsargo@yahoo.com
Here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scnightrod/sets/72157603860089639/
As Laurel has already expressed, thanks for sharing this experience with us. I would never have "known" Duncan (and his extraordinary family) without that... It's so, so hard to read these posts sometimes, but that is exactly the reason that it's so important that we do.
Peace,
Andrea from BFS
Thank you for sharing this. It is so important to pay our repects to the fallen. I never new Duncan but thanks to Jason of The Patriot Riders I witnessed the memorial service held in his honor. May he rest in peace.
Post a Comment