2-1 Your always with us!
2nd Platoon before we left Kansas
1st Squad 2nd Platoon
The original 2-2 before we left for Iraq.
How my son's known me most of his life.Here it is 2008 a new year, though it doesn't feel new. I look forward to 3 months of 2008 and god willing going home to my family safely. In January of 07 we departed Kansas and arrived in Kuwait where we waited and trained at Camp Buerhing, then from there made our way North to Baghdad Iraq. I remember talking to my friend SGT Joel Murray and talking about the first time we had been in Iraq and that nothing had really changed in reference to where we were waiting to catch our bird to take us to Rusty. Later on in October I found myself waiting at that same place waiting for a bird to take me home on RNR. I didn't think I would find myself there reminiscing about my friend who was killed on September 04, 2007. I thought that at the end of the deployment we would be back there at that marshalling area talking about all the fucked up shit that went on during our deployment.
We arrived at FOB Rusty with only a handful of us combat vets and the rest bright eyed cherries with no idea about being blown up and shot at. Who were romancing the idea of being at war. We took up residence in a burned out Spaghetti factory in the heart of an Iraqi neighborhood. No frills no gimmicks, and not much time for rest. Coming in for refit days you could see the exhaustion in their eyes, sunken and black around the edges. It wasn't all bad because many good times were had out there and we bonded as a Platoon. We were attacked with rockets, mortars, improvised claymores, and EFP's. All close calls with no or mild injuries. The device would explode just in front of us or on the vehicle with a near miss, just taking out engines or tires. SGT Murray looking over at me and saying "That was a bitch ass IED." The radio call would come over that everyone in the truck was ok, then we would either dismount and start searching houses or just Charlie Mike (continue mission). I sat out on an OP (observation post) where dogs gave away my position and we started taking small arms fire impacting around our position, I look back at my guys and smile and assure them that this shit is hooah. When I went away to BIAP I get an e-mail telling me my truck was destroyed by an indirect 120mm rocket. One rocket took out all of our trucks as the platoon was headed out to mount up and conduct mission. We were on stand by for missions to go put barriers up around a gas station to keep snipers from shooting our guys in the gas station, only to be told to stand down because of a crane being down, or people not showing up with the equipment. Then one day we went to 'assess' where the barriers would be emplaced and before we even got to the fucking gas station a 10" EFP took away from us 5 guys. 3 of them forever watching over us, and 2 of them who's lives were drastically altered for ever.
We pulled together and looked for strength from one another. We weren't defeated just determined. We grew to hate barrier missions, though we've accomplished several after the fact, even though the locals move them anyway. There is a road and a turn that we take only a few hundred meters away from where we lost our dear friends, and every time we take it we look ahead and are reminded of the deadliness of our adversaries. We never let the memories dim and talk about the good times we had with those we lost. We continue the mission pulling bad guys from the night, trying to make friends during the day. We live day to day until those days become weeks and the weeks become months and we find ourselves able to see light penetrating the blackness. Under 100 days and time slows as attacks have picked up around us.
We fall under a new unit that took over and with change of command comes change. Higher ups that don't like one thing or another and seem to make changes just to make them. "Hey I don't like boonie caps you can't wear them!" Is that really relevant? I guess it could be argued that is relevant in the good order and professionalism of the United States Army. Roger! I will enforce the standard HOOAH!
2nd Platoon is still stomping. We have learned a lot about the ever changing situation here on the ground, we bitch a lot but we remain flexible. Remember? Semper Gumby!!
Happy New Years, and Holidays, from the men of 2nd Platoon and Charlie Company. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. 12 months down, 3 to go.
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!!
3 comments:
Just want to wish you all a safe 2008 and quick return home to your loved ones. Thank you again for sharing your deployment with us during 2007: the funny, the dramatic, the boring, and -- as difficult as it must be -- the unthinkable and unbearable. I look forward to continuing to read your posts as your deployment (finally!) winds down (hopefully more laughs than tears from here on out...).
Cheers,
Andrea (from BFS)
Ditto Andrea's comments. We've really enjoyed reading your milbog; it's one of the more substantive war journals currently out there on the Internet. I absolutely love the powerful and very touching montage you put together of your guys, even though it rips my heart out to look at it. I've printed and framed it, and it's now hanging on my heroes wall here at home. God bless you and your fellow troops for all you've given your country, and for all the sacrifices you've made for us so we can live in freedom. We'll miss you greatly when you redeploy, but we're glad you'll soon be returning home to your waiting loved ones. Sending our prayers for your safety.
Laurel (also from BFS)
I've been following news of the 2-16 since February - (http://spiritbuilders.blogspot.com/2007/02/army-battalion-2-16.html.) Know that you're in my prayers and I can't wait to post the jublilant homecoming pictures.
Keep you head down and your flak jacket fastened until the great day in Spring when you're reunited with your families.
Thanks for your service and thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and photos.
Post a Comment