In a somber mood this morning we slogged our way through the mud on our way to the chapel. We made our best attempts to kick the mud off at the door and took our seats to bid farewell to a friend that had fought so hard for so long. In the wake of Duncan's passing memories of September 4th were brought to the forefront of our thoughts. Mixed feelings about what if this and what if that.
We settled in our seats and waited for the rest of the battalion and special guests to arrive at the chapel. For the most part I kept my face burried in my memorial pamphlet staring at Duncans picture, and reading his bio over and over. All of us did. The memorial began by sad songs playing to a slide show of pictures of Duncan that members of the platoon had put together. You could feel and hear the emotion build in the hearts of second platoon, grown men fought back tears, and many unsuccessful. Shortly after we regained our composure as the Chaplain brought us to our feet and the National Anthem was performed. The chaplain delivered the invocation, and the scripture reading. We seated in silence as our battalion commander took the podium and spoke about Duncan, and how he had went to see him at BAMC during his leave, my throat lumped up as he spoke about giving Duncan his Commendation medal and Combat Infantry Badge.
Our company commander got up and spoke on Duncans behalf. Through this everyone was alright. LT Hart spoke about his RTO and reminded us of differences and similarities of their nature. His voice broke as he read a part of the letter that Duncan's mother had sent out, and as his voice broke ours did as well. Next SPC Davis spoke about his friend. Duncan and Davis had become close during the deployment, and we learned of Duncan's desire to be in the military at an early age, we were reminded of Duncan's intelligence and stubbornness, his caring, and his will to fight and carry on. We were given a small glimpse into Duncan's life and how he eventually married his childhood sweet heart, a woman that was unbending in her devotion to Duncan and stayed by his side until the end.
Any attempt to remain stoic had left my control and I cried, I was not alone. Next SPC Hughes Duncan's fellow RTO and talked about his friend and battle buddy. He reminded us of Duncan's wit and warm friendship, as he talked about watching LOST episodes and Duncan giving Hughes a techno beat and Hughes said "What am I supposed to do with that?" Duncan simply replied, "Well you rap don't ya?".
Final roll call was conducted, and after 3 times of Duncan's name being called followed by an eery silence, the firing squad conducted their salute, it was crisp and clean, all rifles firing as one, and you could barely make out the commands from outside. Then TAP's began to play. Anytime I ever here that played I will remember always the men killed on September 4th and the man that fought so hard to stay alive. I will never be able to hear TAP's played without welling up. I'll remember Randy and his huge smile, David and his goofyness, Joel and his dry humor, and Duncan and his technical prowess. Those traits are only the tip of the iceberg.
2nd Platoon says goodbye to Duncan, inspired by his will to fight, devastated by his body's inability to carry him through it. We all thought that we would get to see him again. I know I did. One day we will. For now 2-1 has an RTO to overwatch from the OP in the sky.
You will never be forgotten.
Deuce Deuce OUT!
5 comments:
Beautifully written, Tristan. Thank you for allowing us to participate in the honoring of PFC Crookston. RIP brave warrior.
Tristan,
SK sent me the link. Just wanted you to know that the Soldiers Angels Living Legend team will be supporting PFC Crookston's family, and also that....there are many folks today holding all of you, and his family and friends, in our prayers.
In the loss of PFC Crookston, we have all lost greatly. We will remember.
"Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid" Basil King
I cried too, just from reading this. You have a real talent in writing. I enjoy reading your journal. I always pray for our soldiers and their families, and keep a special prayer for you and Kevin. God Bless.
Bro,
Former US Army 19D (2ACR/GW1, Haiti, KFOR)
I'll be amongst those escorting him to his resting place. God has him now.
God Bless you guys. CTM and get home safe.
Post a Comment