Well........ I did it again. 4 more baby 4 more. I didn't get any money. I did get my choice of duty station. I can say its non deployable and I'm really excited about that. Its off to Relaxin Jackson when I'm done here.
Its actually pretty sweet. Since 2001 I've hardly been home at all. I was in the New York Guard and after 9/11 they kept me busy and away from home. Out of the last three years I've been home for 7 months of it. I'm excited to actually be able to be home and be a father and husband. Part of me will miss being deployed, thats what we do, its what we train for. I don't really know what I'll be doing in Jackson but I do know I will not be deploying.
A couple of people have told me that it will be range cadre or assisting with the training of the new recruits that go through there. That will be cool I love to train soldiers.
It was really a mutual decision between my wife and I. She only wanted me to take a tactical halt for a while. I knew ever since I was a kid this is what I was going to do. I love it, I love the people, I love to lead and I love to teach young Soldiers. I love being in the company of heroes.
It was crazy though as my wife and I talked about life since 9/11 and how much I haven't been home. Babies became big kids and I missed pinnacle moments in their lives. I know for the next 3 years (depending on my work schedule) I will be around for birthdays, Christmas's, and all that other normal guy stuff that everyone else gets to enjoy. What the remaining years have instore after that I don't know. The way most of us have to look at life in the Military is one deployment at a time.
In 1995 a punk ass kid from small town Washington walked into a Marine recruiter office, and was later wisked away to MCRD San Diego, 12 years later here I sit in Iraq for the 2nd time, with another 4 years ahead. Its been a strange and wonderful trip. I've seen and done things I never would have imagined. I'm doing what I dreamed about when I was a kid watching Tour of Duty and playing with GI Joes. Hopefully now that I'll have some stabilization I'll be able to attend the schools I've been trying to go to for the last 10 years. Most importantly I'll be able to watch my kids grow up live and in person. We will see what the future holds.
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!!!!
11 comments:
Congrats on your reup! Your wife and I were just talking about this today! It's got to be a good feeling to know you will actually be able to spend some time at home with family for awhile now. I can't imagine only being home for 7 months out of 3 years! Thats heartbreaking. Nobody will ever be able to understand everything soldiers actually DO sacrifice for this country. The only ones who DO understand is the soldiers and families of soldiers themselves. The military is THE, greatest heroes of all times, yet still the underdogs. You know what I mean by that. Again congrats and I'm glad you, the wife and kids have some time ahead of you now that you can actually be together!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! We salute you, and we thank you for your service to our country above and beyond the call of duty! We are so happy for you and your family that you'll be able to stay home and be a husband and a dad! We're praying your remaining time over there will pass quickly for you, and that you'll be home before you know it! Job well done, SSG Ruark!!!
Congratulations!!
The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 03/24/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
Thanks again, baby for making this choice to once again better the lives of our children and our family. Whether training soldiers at home or in Iraq, I could never be more proud of you. I love you with all of my heart and am so excited to finally have a chance to be with you every day! Twelve days and counting...I love you! xo
Just another grateful American stopping by to say thanks and Godspeed. I hope you revel in your non-deployable tour - you all deserve nothing less. :)
Take care,
Lisa
Congratulations to you and your family. All the best in Jackson.
Hey,
I just wanted to let you know we featured your blog in our article on soldier bloggers at asylum.com. We were all very impressed by your work.
Sure, those big enlistment bonuses are nice, but being able to spend the next few years with your family and watching your kids grow...PRICELESS!
Andrea from BFS
I'm glad you are not going to be deployed at least for the next 4 years. Maybe I can come to see you since I've never been to Jackson. Isn't that a song...I'm goin' to Jackson...
Good luck.
Post a Comment