Well I've been home for a week and some change now. Nothing really going on to much, just getting rid of the jet lag and spending time with my family. Coming home this time was different than the first time, I'm not checking the sides of the roads for IED's or anything. I catch myself more just taking in the scenery (my wife hates when I drive). Kansas has some nice scenery to take in thats for sure. I haven't ate out as much as I thought though you know I had to hit up the Flame Broiled Mecca for a beastly steak burger. I can definitely understand why the dude in the commercial powered his way to the window.
Our week has just been filled with in processing stuff or reverse SRP if you will. Making sure that our admin stuff is squared away and doing some medical check ups, a lot of briefs about reintegrating into real life. We are pretty much out at noon every day which is really nice. Nobody I know so far has gotten into any trouble. I'm proud of those guys before we left I would at least get one phone call on the weekend but since we've been back they have stayed pretty low key.
With getting out of "work" early I had the opportunity to go to my kids school and have lunch with them which is very interesting. I had lunch with my youngest and listened to a heated discussion between 2 boys and a girl. The one boy was saying how he wished he could get bitten by a spider like in Spiderman so that he could have Spiderman powers. The other boy he was talking to was like ya that would be cool. A young lady who over heard their conversation butted in (like women do sometimes) and made an attempt to squash their hopes (also another trait of women) of being bitten by a radioactive Spider. They went on back and forth until it was almost time to go to recess. I told them if they eat their peaches that it would give them the ability to run faster. Since this privy knowledge came from an adult soon the whole table had wolfed down their peaches and were prepared to go outside and try out their new power.
That situation in itself was very different since I was able to communicate with the children and there was no language barrier. The kids in Iraq loved us and would surround us for hand outs and be talking a mile a minute in their native language and through broken Arabic and English we could communicate a little bit.
I did find that I have a few quirks and one being I cannot stand the sound of dogs barking. I have a dog and she is the sweetest but her barking drives me in-fuckingsane. The quiet is another thing, after the kids go to bed it is so quiet. In Iraq there usually is a generator somewhere in the back round or dogs, or birds or some thing. Since it is so quiet the ringing in my ears is amplified, or I guess noticeable now and it is so loud that it irritates me.
My final bitch for now, we had a brief at the wee hours of the morning and it was over quickly so we decided to hit the chow hall for some breakfast. We waited an hour for it to open when we noticed people going into the front door. Taking the cue and thinking that they had opened fifteen minutes early we mozied on up to the door and went inside. Pretty much the whole DFAC staff which are civilians and Soldiers started bitching that they weren't open yet and being pretty rude about it. Well we didn't unlock the fucking door, so we waited in the breeze way for them to "Open". They opened and we got in line. At the DFAC in Iraq its ran by KBR and all of the people that serve the food are foreigners, from all sorts of different countries. Here the servers are Soldiers. I got in line to get my omelet, and the women making it was an E-4 a pregnant E-4 and she complained the whole time, did a shitty job making my omelet and took for fucking ever. In the box at least the dude though we didn't speak the same language understood ham, cheese, and mushroom, and could cook more than one omelet at a time, and moved down the line for some scrumptious bacon, and there was a male E-4 behind the counter. "Bacon." I said. I watched this high speed individual serve me up some scrambled eggs, you know of course I have an omelet and I really want so more fucking eggs? I tell him bacon again but this time a little louder. Fuck me I thought to myself at least the dude in Iraq could understand me. Well I ended up with a shit ton of eggs and some bacon.
Thats an update of my now boring but blessed life I apologize for stealing precious moments of your day. Once I become not so lazy I'm going to try and set up a slide show and probably in the future go over things that happened in Iraq that I forgot about or ready to talk about.
Thats it for now. Once again thank you for all of your support.
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!
10 comments:
Your now boring but blessed life is a more than well-deserved change. I really loved the story about your lunchtime adventure -- it made me want to run right out and get some peaches! (Or, maybe I should just go out and look for some radioactive spiders...lol)
Cheers,
Andrea from BFS
"I told them if they eat their peaches that it would give them the ability to run faster. Since this privy knowledge came from an adult soon the whole table had wolfed down their peaches and were prepared to go outside and try out their new power."
You rock dude. Spoken like a born leader.
I'm looking forward to whatever you want to share with us.
Thanks again
Deuce Deuce,
welcome home! I'm happy you're back safe. I really appreciate all that you've done and sacrificed for all of us. I am a K-State grad and have a lot of friends out at Fort Riley. I wish you and your family all the best. I found your site from 15 Minute Lunch.
Tristan, welcome back again. I'm going to stop by from time to time...so keep writing.
I just joined a new volunteer mission here in Central Minnesota called "Warrior to Citizen." It's a collection of folks from the VA, various social services, and churches that hope to help the transition of our many National Guardsmen who return from Iraq and Afghanistan. Any pointers you can provide would be appreciated.
The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 04/25/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 04/25/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
Hey man, glad you're adjusting well.
If you don't like dogs barking I can let you have a cat that yowls like it's getting a hot poker up the ass at 3am and brings dirty laundry up from the basement and leaves it on the kitchen floor. Let me know if you're interested.
I have that fckn ear ringing too -- but for a different reason. It's from playing drums in a rock band for too many years. When it's quiet all I hear is something that sounds like a hearing test. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiing..
You get to NY, I'm buying the beer.
Love the contrasts of children in Iraq and watching the kids at home. Your writing is so visual and you paint such an interesting picture -- you have never stolen
"precious moments" of my day. You have only added to mine! Keep it coming!
Welcome Home! Thank you so much for your blogs. You really had the best information about what was going on there.I was addicted to any kind of news when my cousin was in Iraq. Keep writing, I enjoy it so much. Thank you for your service.
What about walking on rocks? Are you glad not to be doing that anymore? I swear if I ever have to wade through rocks in a camp again it will be too soon! Welcome back.
Post a Comment