Well, I'm in Can'tWait now fucking finally got in here this morning at 3am tried to throw myself into a medicated slumber until somebody decided to wake me from it. As if I needed anymore time awake in the nightmare that I'm already living. We were stuck in limbo in Iraq for awhile waiting for a flight out. Finally got the word to go and boarded a big Chair Force plane. Nothing like sitting elbow to elbow with all your gear, bag, body armor, and weapons. The plane roared to life and we were off. We all cheered and breathed a sigh of relief to be the fuck off the ground and headed south. The pilots pulled into a steep climb which produced more cheers, hands went up into the air like some kinda psychotic roller coaster ride. The cheers from the Grunts in the back motivated the pilots for more gut wrenching maneuvers in a giant airplane. I'm sure the pilots were having a grand ol' time, and I was too I'm not gonna lie. Then they did one more and instead of cheers there was mostly grounds. I smiled happy to be making distance between Iraq and me. Not out yet but close enough to smile.
We touched down in Kuwait and were hurried on to bus after bus, some not having time to pee after the big plane ride, and took the opportunity to hang the wang out the window of the bus and piss on the go. I'm wondering what the bus driver in the bus behind us was thinking when both sides of our bus sprung a leak.
Kuwait is nice, I like it its find sand, its a little humid and your most positively out in the middle of no where. Nothing as you drive from camp to camp. Pitch black emptiness, and its quiet. We arrived at the camp and down loaded the gear. Unfortunately I was a man short because do to a serious fucking miscount they told us the plane was full and we had to drop 2 people. Sorry if your last name starts with Z, and Y. Then we get here and they tell us that a small portion will have to stay behind for the next flight. Most of us were pretty pissed and WTF was thrown out at will. The boyz of Charlie lucked out as we all made it on. We have a good portion of Charlie on the way home as I write these words. We were broken up a little bit, but shit as long as everyone makes it home I'm cool with that.
Honestly I can't even believe I'm here and its so close to going home. Granted I was here about 6 months ago for RnR but that was a lot different, I was going back to the shit hole and was uncertain whether or not I would get to be on the trip home. I find myself thinking of Joel and things we would be talking about, about how the pad in BIAP had changed and the deployment and all. I can't help but feel a little empty because I know that we did not bring everyone home. It kinda feels as though we left them there in Iraq. I know in my heart though that they are at peace on American soil in a better place, together watching over us. How else really could you explain everything that happened during the uprising and none of us being hurt or killed.
I'll be here for a few more hours, not gonna give you any times cuz that would just be really stupid of me but I will let you know when we are all kissing American soil, and our families. In the meanwhile I've to make a pit stop to get rid of the pizza thats seeping its way through my colon. Kuwait is great! They have a McDonalds here of all things. The internet is kinda pricey 5 bucks for an hour and considerably slower. Riddle me that one. Thats all the update I have for now. To all my brothers still in the shit keep your heads down and your trigger fingers itchy! To everyone else no shit, I'll catcha you on the flip side!
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
PS
If anyone from 2/16 is reading this trying to get info on when we we are coming back keep contacting your FRG rep or go to the website. I understand that some FRG's really don't have a clue about whats going on right now (I know from talking to my friends who are married and my wife) but just keep contacting them if you haven't got an answer as of yet. I apologize for not putting anymore than I already now but unfortunately I cannot do that on a public website. I apologize for the inconvenience but we will be home soon.
5 comments:
I'm really glad you're finally on the way home. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you and the guys. Thanks again.
Hooray! Hooray! You are almost home!!! Kuwait should feel like summer camp compared to where you have been (that image of the leaky bus made me laugh out loud...lol!).
I wanted to say a little word about Joel and the others who are not flying out with you. They are with you always, you know? It's true that they aren't taking up a seat on the plane the way that they should have, but you are taking them out with you anyway. They are safe now, too.
Take care,
Andrea from BFS
The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 04/09/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
Have a very safe trip home to your family and thank you for being a good friend and a good soldier. I will never forget you.
Your Habibi,
Addi
Aaaaahahahahah...the bus window! That's a scream! Where's CNN with their cameras when ya need 'em?!? ; )
Ditto what Andrea said about Joel and the other guys...you're all safe now.
Post a Comment