Saturday, April 12, 2008

Finally





I sit here posting this one from the comfort and safety of my own home. Hanging out with my wife and she finishes up some homework she has due on Monday. It felt like forever from Rusty, to BIAP, to Kuwait and then to here. I stay in Kuwait was nice and short and they have the Customs portion down to an exact science it seems. With customs knocked out we were herded into the waiting area until our plane was ready for us. The weight of 15 months slowly started to drift away as the pilots roared away from Kuwait. We ate a light meal on the plane watched a movie and before we knew it we were in Germany. A quick pit stop and much needed smoke break for all the smokers and we were back on the bird for the long leg of the flight. I sat next to Doc so I had access to the best sleeping aides. When I woke up I saw the green hills, and forests of Maine. We were almost home, we were finally in the good ol' U, S, of A. We landed in Bangor Maine and were greeted by veterans of WWII and Vietnam and several other volunteers. They had free cell phones for us to use and also took a bunch of pictures which they posted seethepics, check out you might even see me in a couple of those.
We landed in Kansas and had to take care of some admin type things before we would head down to the ceremony. We mustered into the building and they formed us up. Everyone was thinking the same thing, "Hurry the fuck up." We've been waiting around for days now lets do this. We filed off one rank at a time into the main area where the families were waiting. I was one of the last people to come out and as the first entered the building you could here the cheering from the families watching to see which hero was theirs. They played the National Anthem, a quick prayer, and an even quicker speech from some Colonel I didn't even now and with a dismiss from the 1SG the families poured out of the bleachers. I saw mine, made my way to them, my daughters jumped in my arms. My son was a bit more hesitant but it was 3am after all. He came to me and I picked them all up. Tears welled up and in my eyes and spilled over it felt so good to embrace them instead of just their pictures. All the times that I spent wondering if I would ever get to this day all that emotion surfaced. My son spoke to me and it was so weird hearing his tiny voice in person I laughed.
We went home and settled down for essentially what was left of the night. I dozed off for about 2 hours when I opened my eyes my sons head was level with the bed and he was staring at me. He took off running and I woke up and went down stairs and made him breakfast. We didn't do to much that day. My daughter had soccer practice and before that I wanted to go see my friend. We drove to the Fort Riley cemetery and I walked among the rows of fallen heroes until I came across a newer looking marker. I knelt next to my friend and set a flag down for him and some other things. I thanked him for watching over us, and once again assured him that he will never be forgotten.
Today was great as my son woke me up early and told me "Daddy you need to come down and make me breakfast." No one can resist such an offer and I picked him up and treated him to some Trix. (Hey thats what he wanted!)
Home finally and it feels so good to be here. It was great when Setz came over and brought his family. His little girl played with my kids and I could tell by the look in his eyes that he was happy to be home and was completely in love with his lil lady. Everything is pretty surreal. Sleeping in a nice comfy bed next to my lovely wife. Raiding my own fridge, not having to walk 30m to the shitter, having my own private personal shitter, channel surfing.
When you are gone its like stepping into a time warp and when you come home you are hurled into ever day life. Apparently from what I understand the K-State students are excited to have the battle hardened Soldier's home apparently one lucky student was escorted out of a window by one of the returning Soldier's.
I know this post is pretty random but there is a lot of things going on right now. The jist of it is that I'm home. Finally, this time I really never felt like these days would get here. Thank you once again to all of you that have came here to read about what goes on over there and for all of your support. All of our friends at Soldier's Angel's, Books For Soldiers, and our friends from 15 minute Lunch. To everyone that stopped by. I really do appreciate all of your support.
I'll keep posting as I continue to sort things out and get my thoughts and feelings and everything in order. I did eat at AppleBees today and that was great not the best but its a 5 star compared to the KBR DFAC. Alright folks thank you again, and to all my brothers still out there stay safe and godbless.
DEUCE DEUCE OUT!!!!!

47 comments:

Long-time RN said...

Welcome home! Lovely family pictures, their smiles say it all!
All the best as you transition to life in the U.S.A. Thank you for your service.
Cathy B

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!!

What a wonderful sight -- you with your beautiful family. Thank you for sharing your experiences. You helped make history come alive for all of your readers.

Kudos to your wife for being able to focus on your homecoming and class work at the same time. You are lucky to have her!!!! You make some team! Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are all some really great pictures! Especially the one of you and your family. It's so nice to see you all together again. We feel greatly relieved that you guys are safe and sound at home. It'll be interesting to read your future posts as you settle back into everyday life after being away for so long. Very nice, your visit to Joel's resting place. Made me tear up. You are right, he will never be forgotten. Thanks for sharing the last 15 months of your life with us. It's meant a lot in a number of ways, but, primarily it's given us a better appreciation for and understanding of, the many sacrifices our troops make for us day after day, so we can live in freedom here at home. I was thinking it would be neat if your milblog postings could be made into a movie some day. I think it would be a major hit! O.k., enough for now. Thanks for the ride. We got our money's worth and then some, that's for sure! God bless and enjoy being HOME again!!! Doesn't that word have a nice ring to it?!? ; )

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing all of this with everyone. It didn't take long for tears to start flowing. You have a beautiful family. I'm glad you're back on U.S. soil and enjoying time with your family.

Thank you for your service and time in the sandbox.

Nixon said...

Awesome, glad you made it back!

Graceful J said...

WELCOME HOME!!!

Stanley Jackson C...... and I came home from the hospital late Friday afternoon. Hopefully I'll have the energy to post some pictures soon; in the meantime though, I know his daddy sent some initial ones to family and friends.

--Joyce

Akasha Savage. said...

Linked up with you from 15 Minute Lunch. Just wanted to say, your post brought a tear to my eye. How wonderful for you, and your family, that you're back home: safe and well.
:)

Marcia said...

By way of 15-minute lunch...welcome home to you from us here in Texas. Thanks for a job well done. Enjoy your family.

Chris said...

Welcome home! It's crazy the first few weeks, but it's all better than Iraq. Thank you to you, thank you to your family. Be well, be safe. C

Anonymous said...

Thank you, sir, for a job well done!

Tracy said...

Welcome home from a fellow 15 minute lunch fan.

Thank you for your work, and best wishes to you and your family!

Unknown said...

It is truly WONDERFUL to see the "We're Home!" pics! They have been a LONG time coming (the look on your son's face in the picture where he's showing of his t-shirt cracks me up; he looks like such a little soldier himself!).

It's heartbreaking to see Joel's marker and I couldn't help but shed some tears when I saw the picture. I'm glad that he is close by and that you were able to visit him so soon; I imagine that you were not going to feel really home until you could do that. I hope you know that because of your blog he will now be remembered by many, many more people who never had a chance to meet him in person.

On a personal note, I'm grateful that you clued me into your blog so many months ago so I could follow your journey through your deployment and back home into the arms of your family. It's been a privilege to be here.

I look forward to continuing to stop by here as you settle in at home (I agree with Lauren about the movie, but first I think you've just about gotten a book written right here...lol!).

WELCOME HOME, SGT. RUARK!!

Andrea from BFS

Colleen said...

Johnny from 15 Minute Lunch sent me here!

Welcome home buddy. Know that you are appreciated and loved.

Take it easy, laze around as much as you can, and suck it all in.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I am always grateful for the work our military does.My sister has been deployed twice. Once to Kurkestan and once to Saudi.

Enjoy your family and friends.

A fan of 15-minute lunch,

Deb

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

I'm also here by way of 15 Minute Lunch.

Welcome home and thanks so much to you for your service. I've not served in the military but work as a government contractor. You and those who serve with you inspire me every day.

damon said...

WELCOME HOME!!!
Words from Cpl. Damon USMC
2nd AA Bn.
15 yrs ago, I lived in the freakin sandbox for 8 months, with no one shootin at me, and thought that was rough.

Hats off to you.
and Thank you!

(by the way - Johnny, over at 15 min. lunch, sent me)

Karen said...

Welcome home. I cannot thank you enough. I have a sister-in-law still deployed, and we anxiously await the day when she can be home for good as well.

Thank you for your service.

Leslie said...

Welcome home. I was directed over here from 15-minute lunch.

I also live in Kansas--in the KC metro area.

Thanks for what you've been doing for us. I know it's your job. But I appreciate it.

I hope HOME is all you dreamed it to be.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, solider! It makes me cry just typing that. Thank you for serving me by being in Iraq...and my deepest thanks to your wife and sweet kids for allowing their husband and daddy to be gone while they found a way to keep going here.

I hope you KNOW that there are lots of us who think of our soldiers every day, and who will never forget what you fight to protect. So glad you're back safe!

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 04/14/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.

Lisa Marie said...

So I read the 15-Minute Lunch blog and it said that you have arrived home. SO.......WELCOME HOME. And from the bottom of my heart.....thank you...so much for all that you've done. Have the time of your life catching up with your family!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You made me cry at work darn it! A big hug to you and your family - welcome home, and thank you for everything you've done for us.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through 15 minute lunch today. Welcome home. Thank you for serving, and risking your life. I am glad you are home safe.

membrain said...

It's really great to see the pictures of you finally reunited with your family. Thanks for serving and thanks for sharing.

All the best.

Alyssa said...

Welcome home! Thanks!

Keetha said...

Glad your home safe. Thank you. I know that's inadequate, but thank you for serving.

Bystander said...

Welcome home!!

Anonymous said...

I share with all your online friends and supporters their joy that you are safely reunited with your loving family. Words can't convey our gratitude to you and yours (in Iraq and at home)for your sacrifices on our behalf. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Knowing you is an honor.

soldiersmom

PS Being in Clarkston at this time is ironic because although I now know you are long gone from this place, I imagine there are some Ruark relatives here who are overjoyed at your return and wish I could call them and share my relief that you made it back and express my gratitude to them - they must be so proud. But all that really matters is that you're back and you will actually have real time with your family. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been a long time reader and I want to thank you for sharing your story and life with us.
It has been my honor to get to read your blog.

David

Traci said...

Welcome Home and Thank you for your service!

Cathy said...

another person who has stumbled upon you via 15 minute lunch... this was a great post. glad to hear you are safe and well and back in the arms of your family! i'm sure i don't have to tell you to enjoy every minute of them :) God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!Just wanted to say thank you for all the blogs throughout your tour.You seemed to be the only truthful info we received.I'm only sorry we didn't get to meet you.You will never know how much we appreciated your blogs they helped more than you will ever know.We had one son in Iraq with you & one in Afghanistan at the same time!They both came home within 3 days apart safe & sound. Thank you again.Please keep posting you are a true writer.God bless you & your's.
Cheryl Berlongieri
(BerDawg's mom)

Kimberly said...

that was the best read yet! welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home and thanks for your service. Though I'm new to your blog, I'm so glad you made it back. Take care and best wishes to your family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Got here from Johnny Virgil's blog. Thank you for your service to our country - you guys are the best among us. And welcome home!

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you home with your lovely family.
Best wishes to you and thank your for keeping us informed.

Michelle

cat said...

Welcome home!
I will never forget the sacrifices you guys make for the US, and I pray that the US will never forget, either. Semper Gratus!
Cat

'Nilla Wafer said...

Welcome Home! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Grunt - Welcome home. Glad you are safe. And thanks for your duty and service. Oh, and Johnny V sent me.

Take Care

LC Nehring

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Just found you through 15 minute lunch, and I have to say that I'm touched by your honesty and bravery.

And oddly, you look a lot like my uncle who was over for three tours.

Have fun.

J

Jezebel45 said...

Welcome home, Deuce Deuce, and THANKS!

p.s. Johnny V sent me ;)

Claire said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to our country and welcome home!

Unknown said...

I just took a look at the pics from your stop through Bangor and couldn't help but notice these...lol:

http://mainetroopgreeters.smugmug.com/photos/277777459_PU3wo-L.jpg

http://mainetroopgreeters.smugmug.com/photos/277780529_eJXjm-L.jpg

Andrea from BFS

Sandybelle said...

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL.. STAY SAFE YOU ALL..
Hugs from me..
always

Anonymous said...

Welcome home and thank you for your sacrifice!!

Nancy McD said...

Welcome home! We are all happy you are safe and home with your amazing family.

Thank you and your family for all you have done.

via 15 minute lunch...and very glad to have found you!

AmyO said...

Welcome home. Thank you for serving the good ol' USA. Words cannot express the gratitude! I cried at your post (as a first time reader coming over from 15 minute lunch), now I have to go back and read your whole story. Enjoy some good food, sleep well, and love your family! God Bless.